Oct 30, 2006 (From the CalCars-News archive)
Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge America, by Sherry Boschert (New Society Publishers) will be published November 9. CalCars is featured prominently in the book, along with many of the groups we list at http://www.calcars.org/partners.html. (We're looking forward to seeing it as much as all of you are!)
The book will be on sale for the first time November 10-12 at the San Francisco Green Festival http://www.greenfestivals.org/content/view/7/29, the world's largest environmental expo, San Francisco Concourse Exhibition Center, 635 8th St (at Brannan St)
The book will be on sale in independent bookstores around December 1 and in chain bookstores around December 11. You can pre-order the book in the following ways:
- It's $15 at http://www.pluginamerica.com/wktec.shtml. Or you can donate $75 to Plug In America and get an autographed copy with your Plug In America membership. (See that URL for other combinations that include the book and an autographed copy of the forthcoming DVD "Who Killed the Electric Car?")
- At the author's website http://www.sherryboschert.com/, until Nov. 9, it's $11.53 + shipping and handling, and tax if you live in California.
- Or come to one of the events where Sherry will be speaking and/or signing the book.
Sherry will speak at the SF Green Festival on
Sunday, Nov. 12 at 4 p.m. and sign copies of the
(People from CalCars and others will be there as
well.) Friday-Sunday, come to the SF Electric
Vehicle Assocation booth http://www.sfeva.org/.
She will be selling and signing books Saturday, November 18 at a day-long workshop on electric vehicles being organized by San Francisco City College.
On Sunday, November 26 she will speak about plug-in vehicles at the 2006 San Francisco Mensa Regional Gathering, where the book will be on sale.
In Southern California, the book also will be sold at the world's largest (and free!) Alternative Car and Transportation Expo in Santa Monica, Saturday-Sunday December 9-10, 2006 http://www.altcarexpo.com. Look for the author and her book at the Plug In America booth.
You can help spread the word about plug-in hybrids by asking local organizations and bookstores to host a reading by the author, linking your website to http://www.sherryboschert.com/, or inviting reviewers to read Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge America. To coordinate appearances, contact the author at info@....
ABOUT THE BOOK AND THE AUTHOR:
Here's the publisher's write-up at for Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge America http://www.newsociety.com/bookid/3934:
A politically polarized America is coming together over a new kind of car -- the plug-in hybrid that will save drivers money, reduce pollution, and increase U.S. security by reducing dependence on imported oil.
Plug-in Hybrids points out that, whereas hydrogen fuel-cell cars won't be ready for decades, the technology for plug-in hybrids exists today. Unlike conventional hybrid cars which can't run without gasoline, plug-in hybrids use gasoline or cheaper, cleaner, domestic electricity - or both. Although not yet for sale, demand for plug-in hybrids is widespread, coming from characters across the political spectrum, such as:
- Chelsea Sexton, the automotive insider: working for General Motors, Sexton fought attempts to destroy the all-electric EV1 car and describes how car companies are resisting plug-in hybrids -- and why they'll make them anyway.
- Felix Kramer and the tech squad: Kramer started a non-profit organization using the Internet to tap into a small army of engineers who built the first plug-in Prius hybrids.
- R. James Woolsey, former CIA director and national security hawk: seeing the end of oil supplies looming, Woolsey is demanding plug-in hybrids to wean us from petroleum.
Cautioning that the oil and auto companies know how to undermine the success of plug-in car programs to protect their interests, the book gives readers tools to ensure that plug-in hybrids get to market -- and stay here.
SHERRY BOSCHERT has been an award-winning medical news reporter in the San Francisco bureau of International Medical News Group, a division of Elsevier, since 1991. A committed environmentalist, the addition of solar panels to her roof led her to buy an electric car and to co-founding the San Francisco Electric Vehicle Association, of which she is President.
"This is an important book. As a historian I was intrigued by the history; as a reader I was charmed by the writing; as a citizen I was outraged by the auto industry's duplicity. If you think your car should get a few more MPG (like 30 more!), plug into Plug-in Hybrids. It will recharge your political batteries."
- Martin J. Sherwin, Pulitzer Prize-winning co-author of American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, and professor of history at Tufts University.
"Sherry Boschert does a great job of showing how shifting to hybrid plug-in cars can sharply reduce gasoline use, dependence on imported oil, and carbon emissions. If we simultaneously build thousands of wind farms across the country, feeding cheap electricity into the grid, we can then run our cars on wind energy - and at a gasoline equivalent price of less than $1 per gallon. What are we waiting for?" - Lester R. Brown, President, Earth Policy Institute, and author of Plan B 2.0: Rescuing a Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble.
"An informative, provocative, engaging book about a vital topic, Plug-in Hybrids is an important book for the 21st century."
- Ocean Robbins, founder and director, Youth for Environmental Sanity (YES).
"Plug-in Hybrids: The Cars that Will Recharge America is a must-read. If you are concerned about the environment, national security, or high gas prices, there is a solution and it's contained in this book. But this isn't simply a book about cars, it's a book about our future. And our future started to look brighter with every page I turned. I was riveted."
- Alexandra Paul, electric vehicle driver and actress.